Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History
126 Packard Avenue, 1883
|The house located at 126 Packard Avenue was constructed in 1883 by Helen L. Mellen, first librarian of Tufts College. Mellen resided in the house until 1903, during which time the house was known as Mellen House. She and her sister, who also lived there, took in student boarders.|
After Mellen moved from the house in 1903, it served for a number of years as a faculty residence. Professor William K. Denison of the Department of Latin lived there from 1903 until 1914. Tufts purchased the house in 1915, at which time Herbert C. Neal of the biology department moved in. Neal lived there until 1938, when Neal's successor Russell L. Carpenter took up residence, remaining there until his retirement in 1968.
The house is currently used by Zeta Beta Tau fraternity.
Source: FAS; RNCH2