Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History

Sauer, Anne

Branco, Jessica

Bennett, John

Crowley, Zachary


Ballou Hall, 1852


Ballou Hall, named for Tufts' first president Hosea Ballou 2d, was the first building to be erected for the new Tufts College. The cornerstone was laid in 1853 and construction was completed the following year. Designed by Boston architect Gridley James Fox Bryant (1816-1899), Ballou Hall was initially referred to as simply College Building or College Hall. It housed classrooms, the library, laboratories, a museum, administrative and faculty offices, student living quarters, and a chapel, now the Coolidge Room.

As Tufts grew, Ballou Hall no longer had to serve as the home of all college activities. One by one, the library, chapel, academic departments, and laboratories were moved from Ballou into new facilities. One hundred years after its completion, plans were made for extensive renovations to the interior of Ballou to better adapt the building to its new role as administrative heart of the university. The last classes were held there in the spring of 1955, and renovations were completed over the course of the next several years. The Coolidge Room, dedicated in 1957, was named for Arthur W. Coolidge, A1903, and his son Robert T. Coolidge, A1936.As the large chapel for Tufts College, it was the site of the first faculty meeting on October 9, 1854, and the second commencement for the college.

Source: Tolles, Bryant Franklin, Jr. "Gridley J.F. Bryant and the First Building at Tufts College." Old-Time New England, April-June 1973, 89-99.; RNTB1

Subject terms:
  • The encyclopedia seeks to capture more than 150 years of Tufts' achievements, societal contributions and outstanding alumni and faculty in concise entries. As a source of accurate factual information, the Encyclopedia can be used by anyone interested in the history of Tufts and of the people who have made it the unique institution it is.
This object is in collection Subject Temporal Permanent URL
Component ID:
To Cite:
TARC Citation Guide    EndNote
Detailed Rights
View all images in this book
Numeric Entries
Dame, Lorin Low, 1838-1903
Dana, Charles A., 1881-1975
Dana Laboratory, 1963
Daniel Ounjian Prize in Economics,
Davies, Caroline Stodder, 1864-1939
Davies House, 1894
De Florez Prize in Human Engineering, 1964
de Pacheco, Kaye MacKinnon, ca. 1910-ca. 1985
Dean Hall, 1887-1963
Dean, Oliver, 1783-1871
Dearborn, Heman Allen, 1831-1897
Department of Anatomy and Cellular Biology, 1893
Department of Anesthesia, 1970
Department of Art and Art History, 1930
Department of Biochemistry, 1893
Department of Chemistry, 1882
Department of Community Health, 1930
Department of Dermatology, 1897
The Department of Economics, 1946
Department of Medicine, 1893
Department of Molecular Biology and Microbiology
Department of Neurology, 1893
Department of Neuroscience, 1983
Department of Neurosurgery, 1951
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 1893
Department of Ophthamology, 1893
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, 1906
Department of Otolaryngology, 1895
Department of Pathology, 1893
Department of Pediatrics, 1930
Department of Pharmacology, 1915
Department of Physics and Astronomy, 1854
Department of Physiology, 1893
Department of Psychiatry, 1928
Department of Radiation Oncology, 1968
Department of Radiology, 1915
Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, 1955
Department of Surgery, 1893
Department of Urban and Environmental Policy, 1973
Department of Urology, 1910
Dental Health Sciences Building, 1969
Dewick, Cora Alma (Polk), 1875-1977
Dewick/MacPhie Dining Hall, 1959
Dickson Professorship of English and American History, 1913
Dirlam, Arland A., 1905-1979
Dog Cart, 1900
Dolbear, Amos Emerson, 1837-1910
Donald A. Cowdery Memorial Scholarship, 1946
Dr. Benjamin Andrews Professorship of Surgery, 1987
Dr. Philip E. A. Sheridan Prize, 1977
The Drug Bust, 1970
Dudley, Henry Watson, 1831-1906
Dugger, Edward Jr., 1919-75
Durkee, Frank W., 1861-1939
Durkee, Henrietta Noble Brown, 1871-1946
 List of Sources