Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History

Sauer, Anne

Branco, Jessica

Bennett, John

Crowley, Zachary

2000

Golf Course, 1924-1958

The Golf Course was built in 1924, spanning nearly the entire downhill section of the Medford campus. Constructed entirely by students, the six hole golf course provided room for physical education classes and extra-curricular activities for almost thirty-four years.

In 1923, President Cousens expressed his interest in the construction of a golf course at Tufts College, claiming it would help bring Tufts back to the forefront. In fact, although this has been subsequently disputed, Tufts claimed that its course would be the first golf course on any college campus in America. Cousens personally subsidized preliminary arrangements and expenses for the course, provided that students volunteered to construct the course. The next year, using a design by architect Wayne Stiles and his assistant John R. van-Kleck, construction began. Under the watchful eye of philosophy professor Robert C. Givler, students were asked to volunteer five hours per week towards the construction of the course. Physical education classes substituted construction work for normal activities, and within months, the golf course was completed.

Although strict rules governed attire, equipment, and hours, the course was opened to all Tufts and Jackson students and faculty free of charge. After a year, however, Tufts began to require that students have experience on a golf course before using the Tufts course.

The course remained intact until 1948, when the second hole was destroyed to make room for Jackson Gym. The now five-hole course remained in use, and saw its thirtieth anniversary in 1954. The same year, the course was restructured to provide room for Alumnae Hall, Hodgdon Hall, and Cohen Auditorium. The course survived, in modified form, until 1958, when it was formally closed to make room for the construction of Bush Hall and Tilton Hall.

Source: TD, MS

 
Subject terms:
Description
  • The encyclopedia seeks to capture more than 150 years of Tufts' achievements, societal contributions and outstanding alumni and faculty in concise entries. As a source of accurate factual information, the Encyclopedia can be used by anyone interested in the history of Tufts and of the people who have made it the unique institution it is. The Encyclopedia is an ongoing, constantly growing, online r... read more
This object is in collection Subject Temporal Permanent URL
ID:
f1881x54h
To Cite:
DCA Citation Guide    EndNote
Usage:
Detailed Rights
View all images in this book
 Introduction
 Content
Numeric Entries
A
B
C
D
Dame, Lorin Low, 1838-1903
Dana, Charles A., 1881-1975
Dana Laboratory, 1963
Daniel Ounjian Prize in Economics,
Davies, Caroline Stodder, 1864-1939
Davies House, 1894
De Florez Prize in Human Engineering, 1964
de Pacheco, Kaye MacKinnon, ca. 1910-ca. 1985
Dean Hall, 1887-1963
Dean, Oliver, 1783-1871
Dearborn, Heman Allen, 1831-1897
Department of Anatomy and Cellular Biology, 1893
Department of Anesthesia, 1970
Department of Art and Art History, 1930
Department of Biochemistry, 1893
Department of Chemistry, 1882
Department of Community Health, 1930
Department of Dermatology, 1897
The Department of Economics, 1946
Department of Medicine, 1893
Department of Molecular Biology and Microbiology
Department of Neurology, 1893
Department of Neuroscience, 1983
Department of Neurosurgery, 1951
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 1893
Department of Ophthamology, 1893
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, 1906
Department of Otolaryngology, 1895
Department of Pathology, 1893
Department of Pediatrics, 1930
Department of Pharmacology, 1915
Department of Physics and Astronomy, 1854
Department of Physiology, 1893
Department of Psychiatry, 1928
Department of Radiation Oncology, 1968
Department of Radiology, 1915
Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, 1955
Department of Surgery, 1893
Department of Urban and Environmental Policy, 1973
Department of Urology, 1910
Dental Health Sciences Building, 1969
Dewick, Cora Alma (Polk), 1875-1977
Dewick/MacPhie Dining Hall, 1959
Dickson Professorship of English and American History, 1913
Dirlam, Arland A., 1905-1979
Dog Cart, 1900
Dolbear, Amos Emerson, 1837-1910
Donald A. Cowdery Memorial Scholarship, 1946
Dr. Benjamin Andrews Professorship of Surgery, 1987
Dr. Philip E. A. Sheridan Prize, 1977
The Drug Bust, 1970
Dudley, Henry Watson, 1831-1906
Dugger, Edward Jr., 1919-75
Durkee, Frank W., 1861-1939
Durkee, Henrietta Noble Brown, 1871-1946
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
R
S
T
U
V
W
Z
 List of Sources