Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History
Hooper House, 1892
|Hooper House, located at 124 Professors Row, was built in 1892 by Professor William L. Hooper, Professor of Electrical Engineering and acting president 1912-14, and was his home until his death in 1918.|
After Professor Hooper's death, the house continued to serve as a residence for his sister. She rented rooms to a number of faculty members, including Professor Robert C. Givler, Professor George P. Bacon, Mr. H.L. Etheridge, and Mr. D.D. Sample, manager of the bookstore from 1928 to 1932.
In 1933 the house was purchased by Tufts to serve as the headquarters for the Department of Education. It was used for this purpose until 1949.
In 1949, the house was converted to serve as the infirmary for men, and was expanded to serve the needs of women students in 1956. At this time the house became known as Hooper Infirmary.
After extensive renovations in 1998, Hooper House continues to serve as University Health Services for the Medford campus.