Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History
Carmichael Hall, 1952
|Construction of Carmichael Hall, built as a men's dormitory,began in 1952 and was completed in 1954.Designed by Arland A. Dirlam, A1926,and built by John A.Volpe Company, the building was named for Tufts president (1938-1952) and trustee Leonard Carmichael. Built on the former site of the Mystic Reservoir, the dormitory was built to house the students in the Navy and Air Force ROTC programs at Tufts.|
The original layout included 118 rooms, accommodating 285 men, 2 faculty residences, a large first floor lounge with two fireplaces, and a 350 person capacity cafeteria-style dining room. It was constructed inside the remaining sloping brick walls of the reservoir with concrete and steel materials, aside from interior furnishings, which made the building "practicallyfireproof." The estimated cost of completion of the dormitory was $1 million.
As of 2005, Carmichael Hall continues to house undergraduate students, in addition to Carmichael Dining Hall, the Tufts University Center for Children, Tufts Institute for Lifelong Learning, and the Returning Student Organization.
Source: BG; RNTB3; LOH, 653