Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History
Forsyth School for Dental Hygienists, 1916-1964
Forsyth School for Dental Hygienists was established in 1916 to provide training for young women in oral health service, either as dental nurses, hygienists, or teachers of oral health. Though working closely with the School of Dental Medicine from its establishment, the Forsyth School was not formally affiliated with Tufts until 1949, when the course of study was expanded from one year to two. The program was administered through the College of Special Studies.
The Forsyth School was the first of the schools administered by the College of Special Studies to undergo disaffiliation following the university's 1958 self-study. The school was transferred to Northeastern University's Health Services division as of June 30, 1964.
Source: LOH1; LOH2