Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History
Commons Club, 1908-1924
The Commons Club was formed at Tufts in December 1908. It was organized for the advancement of better spirit and closer relationship among alumni and undergraduates of Tufts College, and to provide a place of welcome to non-fraternal alumni who wish to visit the campus. In 1910, the Commons Club was provided with an official residence on Fairmount Street, later moving to a "chapter house" located at 37 Sawyer Avenue. The club was again moved to a residence on Broadway before returning to campus in 1921through the purchase of Tousey House on Professors Row.
In 1924, the Commons Club affiliated with a local fraternity, Delta Phi Sigma, and in 1933 joined Alpha Kappa Pi (later Alpha Sigma Phi), a national fraternity. Although no symbol or badge remains from the club, according to the first Jumbo Book, published in 1917, the Commons Club possessed a coat of arms and the original club was founded at Wesleyan University in 1899, making Tufts' Commons Club part of a larger organization.