Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History
Durkee, Henrietta Noble Brown, 1871-1946
|Henrietta Noble Brown (1871-1946) became in 1893 the first woman to receive a baccalaureate degree from Tufts College. She transferred to Tufts College from Boston University as part of the first class of women students matriculated in 1892. She was the daughter of Professor Benjamin G. Brown, who joined the Tufts faculty in the early 1860s and served as Walker Professor of Mathematics until his death in 1903. After graduation, she married a Tufts instructor, Frank W. Durkee, class of 1888, who was later to serve as chair of the Department of Chemistry for nearly 25 years. Henrietta Durkee also received two masters degrees from Tufts, the first in chemistry in 1895, and the second in history in 1918.All three of the Durkee children graduated from Tufts, as well as two grandchildren.|
Henrietta Durkee was born and lived most of her life in the house which was known as the Brown-Durkee House, located at 38 Professors Row. After her death, the house became the Faculty Club, and was later demolished to make way for the Mayer Campus Center.