Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History
Leonard Carmichael Society, 1958
The Leonard Carmichael Society (LCS) was founded in 1958 by Richard Dorsay, A1960, M1964, to coordinate student visits to a nearby mental hospital. Over the years LCS grew to become the umbrella organization for dozens of community service and volunteer programs participated in by undergraduates.
During the 1960s, LCS prospered with over 1,000 volunteers, and it was featured on the cover of Life magazine. In the 1970s, membership dwindled to fifteen members. LCS began to regain popularity in the 1980s and even more so in the 1990s. As of 2000 LCS has expanded its programs and opportunities to comprise a volunteer corps of over 1000 and a staff of eighty-five, making it Tufts' largest undergraduate student organization.
LCS is named for Leonard Carmichael, president of Tufts from 1938 to 1952.Dr. Carmichael demonstrated interest in a wide variety of activities beyond his academic expertise and made a career of service to organizations of national importance, including the Smithsonian Institution, the National Geographic Society, and the American Philosophical Society.