Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History
Eaton, Charles Henry, 1852-1902
Charles Henry Eaton (1852-1902), A1874, was a distinguished Universalist preacher and president of New York's alumni association of Tufts graduates. Eaton Hall, constructed with funds donated by Andrew Carnegie in 1905 and opened as a library in 1908, was named in his honor.
Eaton was born August 15, 1852 in Beverly, Massachusetts. He attended Dean Academy and Goddard Seminary in preparation for entering Tufts in 1870.He remained at the college for seven years, entering the Divinity School following his completion of a Bachelor of Arts degree in 1874.He served as president of the Mathetican Club and was member of Zeta Psi fraternity while an undergraduate. In 1887, Tufts conferred a Doctor of Divinity upon Eaton.
In 1881, Eaton was called to the Church of the Divine Paternity in New York City, the beginning of a twenty year period of Eaton preaching and carrying on church work in New YorkWhile in the state, Eaton was president of the New York Association of the Alumni of Tufts College. He was also a noted speaker and Russell lecturer. Eaton died April 14, 1902. He was married twice, first, in 1878, to Jennie M. Thaxter, with whom he had two children, and then, in 1895 to Emily M. Stuart.
Source: TW, v.7 n.27, April 24, 1902