Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History
East Hall, 1860
was built in 1860, at a cost of $19,191.90, to address the continuing need for dormitory space on the Medford campus. In the 1960s it was converted into classroom and office space, and continues to be used in that capacity.
was designed by the architectural firm Lloyd & Ruffing, and could accommodate fifty students in rooms on the three main floors. A dining hall was installed on the basement level, which because of the grade of the hill, had windows on three sides. This dining hall was the original commons dining hall for all of campus, but was converted into additional dormitory space after the completion of to house the commons. After World War II, each of the two-person suites was converted to three-person rooms. was used for army barracks in both World War I and World War II, and in the latter was used by the Navy V-12 Program.
|While in use as a dormitory, was the subject of numerous student complaints. The dormitory proctor for the academic year 1910-11 typed up a three page memo to the administration outlining student complaints and his recommendations for modifications that should be made to the building, including the installation of storm windows on the north and east sides of the building, repairs to the bathtubs, and the expansion of the hours that the building was to be heated in the wintertime. One of the more difficult situations arose out of the fact that the only lavatory and washing facilities were located in the basement, with the result that "certain obnoxious practices have been perpetuated" by students on the upper floors "which are not only discreditable to the college and disgusting to newcomers, but demoralizing to the finer sensibilities and personal pride of the students. The reasons should be apparent why vessels of crockery or metal could hardly become permanent fixtures in a college dormitory." He recommends that an additional "closet" be installed on the second floor to remedy this situation.|
In 1915, the students of petitioned President Hermon Carey Bumpus as follows:
"We, the undersigned, residents of , Tufts College, Mass., in order to decrease the number of 'roughouses' and to improve the general behavior of aformentioned residents of said dormitory, do petition you, President of Tufts College, to allow us the use of Room 19, , for a recreation room and also to permit us the use of one of the discarded pianos of the Musical Department."
Use of the room and piano was granted, accompanied by a gift of fall apples from President Bumpus. The secretary of wrote to thank President Bumpus for his kindness, stating that "the fellows are getting together and having 'sings' and incedentally becoming closer friends. Freshmen, sophmores, juniors and seniors are all alike in the club room. The discordedness...is fast dying away."
As of 2000, is used for academic purposes. It houses the Department of English and the Department of History, with offices for faculty and several small seminar rooms. A lounge on the first floor provides space for meetings, lectures and other gatherings sponsored by those departments.
Source: RNTB1; BG2