Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History
Tousey House, 1875
|Tousey House, located at 106 Professors Row, was built in 1875 by William C. Tousey of the Divinity School. It currently is the home of the sorority Chi Omega.|
Tousey resided there until 1917, when Professor Edward H. Rockwell of the engineering school moved in. He lived there until 1921, when it was purchased by the Commons Club, a local fraternity. Since that time the house has served as a fraternity house, with the exception of the years 1943-47, when it was used as a dormitory for Jackson College.
The Commons Club became Delta Phi Sigma in 1924 and in 1931 joined the national fraternity Alpha Kappa Pi. When Jackson released the house in 1947 it was taken again for a fraternity, Alpha Sigma Phi.
Extensive renovations to the structure in 1937 left little of the original building intact. The original Tousey House was a typical Victorian with porches and a cuppola, whereas the current structure presents a more classic Georgian facade, in keeping with the other fraternity houses on Professors Row.
Source: FAS; RNCH2