Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History
Pearson Chemical Laboratory, 1923
|Pearson Chemical Laboratory, on the Medford campus, was constructed in 1923 to house the Department of Chemistry, which had drastically outgrown its temporary facilities in the Research Building on Boston Avenue. It was named for Frederick Stark Pearson, A1883, in 1926.The Michael Laboratory was added on to the building in 1964.|
The structure was designed by Edward Rockwell and Edwin Wright, the latter of the Department of Civil Engineering. Pearson contains laboratories, classrooms, and office space. A shed was constructed on the roof during World War II for government-sponsored psychological experiments. It was later used for the college's telescope used in astronomy classes.
As of 2000, Pearson continues to serve as the home of the Department of Chemistry.