Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History

Sauer, Anne

Branco, Jessica

Bennett, John

Crowley, Zachary

2000

Power, Harold J., 1892-1969

Harold J. Power (1892-1969), E1914, organized the American Radio and Research Corporation or AMRAD, which set up one of the first two broadcasting stations in America and was the first to broadcast on a daily schedule.

Power was born on July 19, 1892, in Everett, Massachusetts. While still in high school, Power developed a strong interest in radio and broadcasting, and worked on numerous ships as a radio operator during his time off. Once at Tufts, Power studied under many of its most eminent scholars, including Professor Hooper of the Department of Electrical Engineering. To pay for his education, Power worked summers as the wireless operator on the liner Saint Louis, and later on J.P. Morgan's yacht "Corsair." After graduating from the School of Engineering in 1914, Power attended graduate school at Harvard University for one year before organizing the American Radio and Research Corporation, or AMRAD. Power negotiated with Tufts and acquired land on the Boston Avenue hillside to build a radio tower and broadcasting station. With financial backing from his old boss J.P. Morgan, Power constructed a 304-foot tower and an accompanying laboratory building on the Tufts hillside. This station was one of the first broadcasting stations in the country, and after a few months in operation, became the first station to broadcast on a daily schedule.

During World War One, Power began developing products specifically for military use. He designed and manufactured large numbers of transmitters and receivers for the Army, and worked on an electromagnet accepted by the U.S. Navy as the only detector capable of locating a submerged submarine lying idle. AMRAD also pioneered the development of simplified radio receivers and broadcasting service equipment.

After World War I, Power, in order to expand his business, bought more land and built an AMRAD manufacturing plant. This building later became the Hooper Electrical Engineering Laboratories, and is now known as Halligan Hall.

In 1930, Power merged AMRAD with Motorola, and sold all the local AMRAD land and facilities to Tufts. In 1948, Power became President and Treasurer of Power's Condenser and Electronics, and there he pioneered development of A.C. electrolytic capacities. Power retired in 1958, having spent forty-three years working with radio and electronics. He died in New Jersey on May 10, 1969.

Source: VF

 
Subject terms:
Description
  • The encyclopedia seeks to capture more than 150 years of Tufts' achievements, societal contributions and outstanding alumni and faculty in concise entries. As a source of accurate factual information, the Encyclopedia can be used by anyone interested in the history of Tufts and of the people who have made it the unique institution it is. The Encyclopedia is an ongoing, constantly growing, online r... read more
This object is in collection Subject Temporal Permanent URL
ID:
f1881x54h
To Cite:
DCA Citation Guide    EndNote
Usage:
Detailed Rights
View all images in this book
 Introduction
 Content
Numeric Entries
A
B
C
D
Dame, Lorin Low, 1838-1903
Dana, Charles A., 1881-1975
Dana Laboratory, 1963
Daniel Ounjian Prize in Economics,
Davies, Caroline Stodder, 1864-1939
Davies House, 1894
De Florez Prize in Human Engineering, 1964
de Pacheco, Kaye MacKinnon, ca. 1910-ca. 1985
Dean Hall, 1887-1963
Dean, Oliver, 1783-1871
Dearborn, Heman Allen, 1831-1897
Department of Anatomy and Cellular Biology, 1893
Department of Anesthesia, 1970
Department of Art and Art History, 1930
Department of Biochemistry, 1893
Department of Chemistry, 1882
Department of Community Health, 1930
Department of Dermatology, 1897
The Department of Economics, 1946
Department of Medicine, 1893
Department of Molecular Biology and Microbiology
Department of Neurology, 1893
Department of Neuroscience, 1983
Department of Neurosurgery, 1951
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 1893
Department of Ophthamology, 1893
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, 1906
Department of Otolaryngology, 1895
Department of Pathology, 1893
Department of Pediatrics, 1930
Department of Pharmacology, 1915
Department of Physics and Astronomy, 1854
Department of Physiology, 1893
Department of Psychiatry, 1928
Department of Radiation Oncology, 1968
Department of Radiology, 1915
Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, 1955
Department of Surgery, 1893
Department of Urban and Environmental Policy, 1973
Department of Urology, 1910
Dental Health Sciences Building, 1969
Dewick, Cora Alma (Polk), 1875-1977
Dewick/MacPhie Dining Hall, 1959
Dickson Professorship of English and American History, 1913
Dirlam, Arland A., 1905-1979
Dog Cart, 1900
Dolbear, Amos Emerson, 1837-1910
Donald A. Cowdery Memorial Scholarship, 1946
Dr. Benjamin Andrews Professorship of Surgery, 1987
Dr. Philip E. A. Sheridan Prize, 1977
The Drug Bust, 1970
Dudley, Henry Watson, 1831-1906
Dugger, Edward Jr., 1919-75
Durkee, Frank W., 1861-1939
Durkee, Henrietta Noble Brown, 1871-1946
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
R
S
T
U
V
W
Z
 List of Sources