Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History
Fischer, Theodore Adolph, 1873-1938
Theodore Adolph Fischer (1873-1938), C1896, Universalist minister, was a dedicated alumus of the Tufts Divinity School, giving the funds for the construction of the Fischer Arcade linking Paige and Miner Halls on the Medford campus.
Born in Meriden, Connecticut, on September 19, 1873, Fischer attended Tufts Divinity School, graduating in 1896. He later continued his studies at Yale Theological School. From 1899 to 1906, Fischer resided in Medford, Massachusetts, before moving to New Haven, Connecticut, where he spent the remainder of his life. In 1901, he married Harriet L. Fales, with whom he had one daughter, Martha.
While residing in New Haven, Fischer, a Universalist minister, was a leader in religious and educational affairs, belonged to several boards and served as president of the Universalist Convention of Connecticut for many years. Fischer died unexpectedly in 1938, at New Haven Hospital, following a minor operation.
Fischer, a faithful alumus, gave generously to Tufts College and the Crane Theological School. His most notable gift was the Fischer Arcade, dedicated in 1930, which connects Paige and Miner Halls.