Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History
Davies, Caroline Stodder, 1864-1939
Caroline Stodder Davies (1864-1939) served as the first dean of Jackson College. She also was appointed Professor of Greek for the Jackson women during the brief period when academic segregation of the sexes was attempted at Tufts.
Davies was born in Methuen, Massachusetts on December 3, 1864. Her father, Samuel R. Crocker, was the founder and editor of the Literary World, the first journal of literary criticism in the country. She graduated form Wellesley college in 1887 and later attended Newham College, Cambridge University. She worked as an instructor at Harcourt Place Academy in Ohio, at various girls' schools in the Chicago area, and as headmistress of St. Peter's School in London. She was married to Rev. Owen John Davies, with whom she had two children. An active member of professional and scholarly organizations and advocate for women's suffrage, Davies was listed in the Woman's Who's Who of America, 1914-1915.Coming to Tufts to be dean when Jackson was chartered in 1910, she remained at the college for fifteen years. She resided at 72 Professor's Row, the designated residence of the dean of Jackson College. She resignedfrom her position in 1925 on the grounds of poor health.
In 1941, a women's dormitory at 13 Sawyer Avenue on the Medford campus was designated as Davies House in her honor.
She died at her daughter's home in Bedford, Massachusetts on February 14, 1939.