Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History
Wyeth House, 1910
Wyeth House, probably named after donor Edwin Wyeth, was purchased by Tufts Uninversity in 1952 to serve as a Jackson dormitory.
Built in 1910, Wyeth House served as a private residence until its sale to the university in 1952.During the summer of that year, Wyeth House was completely renovated and converted into a dormitory. Sixteen Jackson undergraduates became Wyeth House's first residents in the fall of 1952.
Edwin Wyeth, after whom the house is probably named, left $50,000 to the university through a trust fund in the mid-1930s.
With the completion of new dorms during the 1960s, Wyeth House was converted to serve as the German Culture House. Located on Whitfield Street on the Medford campus, residents enjoy a friendly rivalry with their neighbors in Schmalz House, the French Culture House, located next door. Aside from the Thanksgiving break theft of $1480 worth of student property in 1973, Wyeth House's history has been relatively quiet.
As of 2000, Wyeth House continues to serve as the German Culture House.
Source: TW, TD, VF