Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History
SS Tufts Victory, 1945-1947
|The SS Tufts Victory was a Victory ship launched in March of 1945, one of a series of ships named for American colleges and universities. It served as a transport of equipment, mail, and troops until the end of World War II, when it was used as a mail ship.|
Victory ships were the successors to the Liberty ships which were mass-produced in the earlier years of the war to carry freight. The Victory ships were larger and faster than their predecessors, and the design was updated with more riveting to increase the strength of the hull.
The SS Tufts Victory was decommissioned in 1947 and sold to the Dutch government.