Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History
Dog Cart, 1900
|In the early 1900s, there was period of several years of uncertainty about meals being served at Tufts College on the Medford campus. Mr. MacFarlane had given up the college dining hall and one year the Commons was not in operation until a week or two after the college opened. Some of the students ate in fraternities or private homes, while others visited a lunch cart, called the Dew Drop Inn, in Davis Square.
During this period, an enterprising person placed a "dog cart," a small shack, located at the end of , near the bridge, and enjoyed a year or more of excellent business, limited only by the size of his establishment. The reopening of the college dining hall under more favorable conditions put an end to the makeshift eatery.