Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History
Tau Beta Pi, 1927
Tau Beta Pi is a national engineering honors society open to the top twenty percent of every engineering class.
Tau Beta Pi was established at Tufts in 1927, due mostly to the work of Professor Edgar McNaughton. McNaughton had worked since 1923 to bring Tau Beta Pi to Tufts, organizing a student signed petition and working to bring organization representatives to Tufts. The 1927 convention of Tau Beta Pi granted Tufts a chapter, helping the university to gain national attention for its College of Engineering.
Once Tau Beta Pi established a presence on campus, it began to work much like Phi Beta Kappa, the liberal arts honor society. The group sponsored a lecture series, bringing well-known scientists and mathematicians to the college every year. In 1963, the Tufts chapter of Tau Beta Pi was selected as the top chapter nationally at the Tau Beta Pi Society's annual convention.
As of 2000, Tau Beta Pi is one of two engineering honor societies on campus, along with Pi Tau Sigma, a society specifically for mechanical engineers.