Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History
Tufts Yacht Club, 1948
|Beginning in the late 1890s, Tufts had a yacht club of sorts, which rose and fell in activity over the years, until 1936, when it was revived and began competing with other university and local sailing clubs. The Yacht Club officially reorganized in 1939, with nine charter members drafting governing documents and registering with the Intercollegiate Yacht Racing Association. Tufts' women students also entered two crews into the Women's Intercollegiate Sailing Regatta the same year. A boathouse for the club was erected in 1948 on Upper Mystic Lake, Medford, Massachusetts, with funds raised by an alumni advisory committee. The yacht club was charged with opening its resources and facilities to students, faculty, and staff for both competitive and leisure sailing activities.
As of 2000, Tufts continues to use the facility located on Upper Mystic Lake, with the Tufts Sailing Team holding weekend regattas and regular practices at the location.