Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History
Chandler House, ca. 1900
Chandler House, located at 125 Powder House Boulevard, is named for Miss Martha H. Chandler, long-time administrator and teacher in the Eliot-Pearson School. It was originally a private residence, and was acquired by Tufts to serve as a dormitory for Eliot-Pearson students, for which purpose it was used until 1966. For a number of years it was unofficially called Perkins House, after an assistant to the Dean of Students in charge of residential arrangements.
In 1963 it was renamed "Boulevard House" by the Trustees and used as a college dormitory. In 1966 at the suggestion of Myra Herrick, Dean of Jackson College, when the house became a Jackson dormitory, it was renamed Chandler House. President Wessell facetiously suggested that, inasmuch as it was to be used as a Jackson dorm, it be called "The Powder House."
As of 2005, Chandler House is used as the Spanish Language Unit, providing a residence for students interested in the Spanish language and the culture of Spain and Latin America.
Source: BG4; Fact Book, 1997-1998.