Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History
Stratton Hall, 1927
was constructed in 1927 following a bequest of $50,000 to the college by Martha Stratton Ensign, who had inherited her father's estate. It was built to serve as a central dormitory for Jackson College, eliminating the need for the "cottage system" of housing in practice, which had Jackson students residing in several Tufts-owned houses around the campus.
|The new dormitory included a suite on the lower level for a house mistress, a "sleeping porch" on the roof, and a dining hall for residents. It originally contained thirty-two single and six double rooms. The building's architects were Andrews, Jones, Biscoe, and Whitmore. With Stratton's completion, , which also had been serving as housing for Jackson students, was returned to the theological students for their use.|
During World War II, was used as a barracks for ROTC students.
As of 2000, continues to serve as a dormitory for undergraduates on the Medford campus.
Source: FAS; RNCH2; LOH1, 550; TW, September 28, 1927