Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History
Anthony House, 1895
Anthony House, located at 14 Professors Row, was built by Professor Gardner C. Anthony, dean of the engineering school, in 1895.He resided there with his family until his retirement in 1927, at which time the house was purchased by the college.
Beginning in 1928, Dean Frank C. Wren and his family occupied the house for ten years, until 1938, when it was transformed into a dormitory for Jackson College students. It was refurbished and decorated under the guidance of Mrs. Pearl Carmichael, wife of President Leonard Carmichael and was occupied by sixteen freshman and a resident house mistress.
In 1955, Charles E. Stearns, dean of the College of Liberal Arts and professor of Geology resided in Anthony House for a brief period of time before returning to his own home in Billerica. It returned to being a women's dormitory until 1969, when it was restructured into a creative arts freshman house. By the 1980s, the house had developed into the Crafts House.
As of 2000, Anthony House is still the home of the Crafts House, an on-campus coeducational cooperative living environment which sponsors crafts-related programming for its residents and the entire Tufts community.