Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History
Arthur Michael Chemistry Laboratory, 1965
|Designed by architect Norman Fletcher, the Michael Lab was built as an addition to Pearson Chemistry Laboratory, which already housed the chemistry department. At the time of its construction, the architectural design was considered extraordinary, and the lab won the Educational Citation Award in the tenth annual Design Awards Program of Progressive Architecture Magazine.|
Built to increase opportunities for chemistry research at Tufts, each floor of the four-story building contains a large lab and conference room, an equipment room, and private offices and labs for researchers. The top floor was built to house the Walter F. Rockwell Chemistry Library. Each floor is connected to Pearson Hall by a glassed in walkway. The laboratory is named after Dr. Arthur Michael, a professor and research chemist at Tufts from 1881 to 1912, who helped give the university an international reputation in chemical research.
By 1980, Michael Laboratory had become outdated and was facing design problems as well. The old exhaust system in the lab, once considered state of the art, had begun to recirculate toxic fumes into the air system on the top floor. In the summer of 1981, the lab underwent extensive renovations. The old exhaust system was replaced, and the labs were reworked to allow research space for seven professors.
Aside from a small chemical spill on April 25, 1989, that forced the evacuation of the building, Michael Lab has remained quiet since 1981. It continues to serve as Tufts' main chemistry research facility.
Source: OBS, TD, TAR