Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History
72 Professors Row, 1857
|The house located at 72 Professors Row, also known as Dearborn House and Tweed House, was built in 1857 by Professor Benjamin F. Tweed, Professor of Rhetoric, and was occupied by him for the eight years that he remained at Tufts. Since that time it has been used for the most part as a faculty residence before it was taken in 1985 for administrative purposes.|
After Professor Tweed, the house was occupied by Heman A. Dearborn, Professor of Latin, until his death in 1897.Professor William K. Denison had the house for at least six years after the death of Professor Dearborn. The name of Llewellyn R. Perkins, Instructor in Mathematics, appears in connection with the house in 1904, possibly as a boarder, but no record is available of other tenants from 1904 to 1911.
In 1911, the house was designated as the residence of the dean of Jackson College. Dean Caroline S. Davies lived in the house from 1911 until 1922, Dean Edith L. Bush from 1925 to 1951, Dean Katherine R. Jeffers from 1952 until 1959, and Dean Myra Herrick from 1959 until 1966.
As of 2005, the house is used for the Center for Teaching Excellence.