Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History
114 Professors Row, 1863
|114 Professors Row, formerly known as Knight House, is first mentioned in the college's records as a farm house and land purchased from Samuel Teele in 1863.The original building, which stood at the western end of the current Professors Row, was flat-roofed.|
Dr. Thomas J. Sawyer, dean of the Theological School, occupied the house both before and after it was moved in 1876 to its current location in order to accommodate the extension of the Row to Curtis Street. Following its relocation, a third floor and pitched roof were added to the structure. Following his marriage to Sawyer's daughter, Professor George T. Knight also resided in the home. Both families are recorded as residing in the house for an extended period of time, with Knight retaining the residence for the remainder of his life.
In 1917, the house was transformed into a cooperative dormitory for Jackson College students. It was sold to Delta Upsilon fraternity in 1938.The fraternity, relocating from its house on Sawyer Avenue, extensively remodeled the building, retaining only a small section of the original structure. During World War II, the building was used as barracks for a unit of Navy men. The house was returned for use to Delta Upsilon in 1948.
As of 2000, 114 Professors Row continues to be home to Delta Upsilon.
Source: RNCH1; LOH1, 384