Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History
College of Liberal Arts and Jackson College, 1980
The officially merged in 1980, when the position of Dean of Jackson College was renamed the Dean of Liberal Arts and Jackson College.
Although classes at Tufts University had not been segregated by sex since 1913, Jackson College and the College of Liberal Arts had remained separate institutions. Jackson had retained its own social life regulations, including some rather archaic curfew and guest rules.
Dean Antonia Chayes, appointed as Dean of Jackson College in 1968, became the first dean to work publicly to join the two colleges. She suggested that the two colleges be joined, as she felt the separation was merely an "administrative fiction."Chayes recommended that the two colleges should have a single academic dean, and an associate dean to aid in student affairs. Chayes also worked to rescind the rules curtailing social life Jackson. The university, however, largely ignored Chayes' work. She resigned in 1970, citing the lack of a university response to her recommendations.
Finally, in 1980, without even a formal announcement to the faculty, the Dean of Jackson College became the Dean of Liberal Arts and Jackson. By the mid-eighties, it was clear that although female students continued to receive Jackson degrees, the two colleges were fully joined.
As of 2001, Jackson College remains a college in name only."J" is used to distinguish female students in Arts and Sciences and while the diploma granted to women graduates mentions Jackson College, it is issued by Tufts University.