Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History

Sauer, Anne

Branco, Jessica

Bennett, John

Crowley, Zachary

2000

Cabot Intercultural Center, 1981

The Cabot Intercultural Center was constructed in 1981 to expand the facilities of the Fletcher School and to serve as a home to the undergraduate Program in International Relations. It was named after John and Elizabeth Cabot, who donated one million dollars to the project. John Cabot was a former ambassador to Brazil, Colombia, and Poland, among other countries. He served as Ambassador in Residence and taught classes at the Fletcher School during the 1960s.

The seven-story building, designed by Architectural Resources Cambridge, Inc., cost a total of $12.5 million to complete. The majority of the funds came from a number of government grants approved in 1977. The United States Congress granted Tufts $6.9 million to build the center in recognition of Fletcher's contribution to the U.S. Foreign Service. The Fletcher School raised the remainder of the money through budget manipulation and donations, the largest being the Cabot grant.

The construction of the Cabot Center was slowed in the spring of 1981 by two separate strikes. A nine-week bricklayer strike beginning on April 30, and a six-week carpenter strike beginning June 15 delayed the opening of the building, planned for late summer, to mid September, 1981. When it was finally opened, the Cabot Center included the 350-seat ASEAN auditorium, a large gallery, an audio-visual lab, a library, and offices for Fletcher and International Relations personnel. The seventh floor of the building contained a large conference center and balcony, connected by the Salle Francaise, a lounge furnished by the French government. The audio-visual lab was relocated to the Olin Center in 1990, opening up more space for the Fletcher School in Cabot.

Since its opening, the auditorium in Cabot has been host to a number of distinguished speakers. Philip Habib, President Reagan's special envoy to the Middle East, spoke at the building's dedication on September 18,1981. Since then, the auditorium has hosted such speakers as Michael Dukakis, former Secretary of Energy and Tufts alumnus Bill Richardson, NOW president Patricia Ireland, and noted physicist Stephen Hawking.

As of 2001, the Cabot Intercultural Center still serves as a home to the Fletcher School and the International Relations program. Large undergraduate courses also often meet in Cabot auditorium.

Source: TJ, TC, OBS, TD

 
Subject terms:
Description
  • The encyclopedia seeks to capture more than 150 years of Tufts' achievements, societal contributions and outstanding alumni and faculty in concise entries. As a source of accurate factual information, the Encyclopedia can be used by anyone interested in the history of Tufts and of the people who have made it the unique institution it is. The Encyclopedia is an ongoing, constantly growing, online r... read more
This object is in collection Subject Temporal Permanent URL
ID:
f1881x54h
To Cite:
DCA Citation Guide    EndNote
Usage:
Detailed Rights
View all images in this book
 Introduction
 Content
Numeric Entries
A
B
C
D
Dame, Lorin Low, 1838-1903
Dana, Charles A., 1881-1975
Dana Laboratory, 1963
Daniel Ounjian Prize in Economics,
Davies, Caroline Stodder, 1864-1939
Davies House, 1894
De Florez Prize in Human Engineering, 1964
de Pacheco, Kaye MacKinnon, ca. 1910-ca. 1985
Dean Hall, 1887-1963
Dean, Oliver, 1783-1871
Dearborn, Heman Allen, 1831-1897
Department of Anatomy and Cellular Biology, 1893
Department of Anesthesia, 1970
Department of Art and Art History, 1930
Department of Biochemistry, 1893
Department of Chemistry, 1882
Department of Community Health, 1930
Department of Dermatology, 1897
The Department of Economics, 1946
Department of Medicine, 1893
Department of Molecular Biology and Microbiology
Department of Neurology, 1893
Department of Neuroscience, 1983
Department of Neurosurgery, 1951
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 1893
Department of Ophthamology, 1893
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, 1906
Department of Otolaryngology, 1895
Department of Pathology, 1893
Department of Pediatrics, 1930
Department of Pharmacology, 1915
Department of Physics and Astronomy, 1854
Department of Physiology, 1893
Department of Psychiatry, 1928
Department of Radiation Oncology, 1968
Department of Radiology, 1915
Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, 1955
Department of Surgery, 1893
Department of Urban and Environmental Policy, 1973
Department of Urology, 1910
Dental Health Sciences Building, 1969
Dewick, Cora Alma (Polk), 1875-1977
Dewick/MacPhie Dining Hall, 1959
Dickson Professorship of English and American History, 1913
Dirlam, Arland A., 1905-1979
Dog Cart, 1900
Dolbear, Amos Emerson, 1837-1910
Donald A. Cowdery Memorial Scholarship, 1946
Dr. Benjamin Andrews Professorship of Surgery, 1987
Dr. Philip E. A. Sheridan Prize, 1977
The Drug Bust, 1970
Dudley, Henry Watson, 1831-1906
Dugger, Edward Jr., 1919-75
Durkee, Frank W., 1861-1939
Durkee, Henrietta Noble Brown, 1871-1946
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
R
S
T
U
V
W
Z
 List of Sources