Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History

Sauer, Anne

Branco, Jessica

Bennett, John

Crowley, Zachary

2000

Bernice Barbour Wildlife Medicine Building, 2000

The Bernice Barbour Wildlife Medicine Building, on the Grafton campus, was constructed in 2000 to provide a home for the School of Veterinary Medicine's Wildlife Clinic. Construction is slated to be completed by December, 2000.

The 11,000 square-foot building will house an expanded Wildlife Clinic, including a filtered pool for aquatic animals, and indoor ward for carnivores, small and large animal runs, flight cages, enlarged surgical and diagnostic facilities and a conference room for seminars and public gatherings. The center brings together under one roof Tufts' signature programs in Wildlife Medicine and International Veterinary Medicine as well as the Center for Conservation Medicine. Housing the three disciplines together fosters collaboration of global health issues such as environmental degradation, infectious disease, antibiotic resistance and loss of biodiversity.

The building was designed by Spagnolo / Gisness & Associates, Inc., with two separate wings linked with a central core area. The central core encompasses the reception and waiting areas and a clerestory display that stretches to the ceiling throughout the space. Overlooking the fields is a forty-person lecture hall with access to an outdoor patio for animal observation.

Source: TJ, May 2000;

 
Subject terms:
Description
  • The encyclopedia seeks to capture more than 150 years of Tufts' achievements, societal contributions and outstanding alumni and faculty in concise entries. As a source of accurate factual information, the Encyclopedia can be used by anyone interested in the history of Tufts and of the people who have made it the unique institution it is. The Encyclopedia is an ongoing, constantly growing, online r... read more
This object is in collection Subject Temporal Permanent URL
ID:
f1881x54h
To Cite:
DCA Citation Guide    EndNote
Usage:
Detailed Rights
View all images in this book
 Introduction
 Content
Numeric Entries
A
B
C
D
Dame, Lorin Low, 1838-1903
Dana, Charles A., 1881-1975
Dana Laboratory, 1963
Daniel Ounjian Prize in Economics,
Davies, Caroline Stodder, 1864-1939
Davies House, 1894
De Florez Prize in Human Engineering, 1964
de Pacheco, Kaye MacKinnon, ca. 1910-ca. 1985
Dean Hall, 1887-1963
Dean, Oliver, 1783-1871
Dearborn, Heman Allen, 1831-1897
Department of Anatomy and Cellular Biology, 1893
Department of Anesthesia, 1970
Department of Art and Art History, 1930
Department of Biochemistry, 1893
Department of Chemistry, 1882
Department of Community Health, 1930
Department of Dermatology, 1897
The Department of Economics, 1946
Department of Medicine, 1893
Department of Molecular Biology and Microbiology
Department of Neurology, 1893
Department of Neuroscience, 1983
Department of Neurosurgery, 1951
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 1893
Department of Ophthamology, 1893
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, 1906
Department of Otolaryngology, 1895
Department of Pathology, 1893
Department of Pediatrics, 1930
Department of Pharmacology, 1915
Department of Physics and Astronomy, 1854
Department of Physiology, 1893
Department of Psychiatry, 1928
Department of Radiation Oncology, 1968
Department of Radiology, 1915
Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, 1955
Department of Surgery, 1893
Department of Urban and Environmental Policy, 1973
Department of Urology, 1910
Dental Health Sciences Building, 1969
Dewick, Cora Alma (Polk), 1875-1977
Dewick/MacPhie Dining Hall, 1959
Dickson Professorship of English and American History, 1913
Dirlam, Arland A., 1905-1979
Dog Cart, 1900
Dolbear, Amos Emerson, 1837-1910
Donald A. Cowdery Memorial Scholarship, 1946
Dr. Benjamin Andrews Professorship of Surgery, 1987
Dr. Philip E. A. Sheridan Prize, 1977
The Drug Bust, 1970
Dudley, Henry Watson, 1831-1906
Dugger, Edward Jr., 1919-75
Durkee, Frank W., 1861-1939
Durkee, Henrietta Noble Brown, 1871-1946
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
R
S
T
U
V
W
Z
 List of Sources