Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History
Littleton, Earle Frederick, 1908-1994
|Earle Frederick Littleton (1908-1994), E1931, spent more than forty-five years at Tufts, moving from student to head of the Department of Civil Engineering. A loyal professor and alum, Littleton's approach to life at Tufts was typified by his motto, "students come first."|
Littleton enrolled at Tufts in 1927 and remained at the institution until his retirement in 1974. As a student he excelled in athletics (football, wrestling, and lacrosse) and participated in many other campus activities, including the Ivy Society, the Ivy Book, and Alpha Tau Omega fraternity. He was also Marshal of the Tower Cross and president of his senior class. Upon graduation he became assistant in Civil Engineering, he became an instructor in 1935.Having continued his studies at Harvard, Littleton applied to the Graduate School of Tufts College in 1936. He was appointed as an assistant professor in 1941, an associate professor in 1947, and a full professor in 1953. From 1958 to 1969, Littleton was chairman of the Department of Civil Engineering. His other ties to Tufts included his service as football and lacrosse coach, chairman of the Academic Awards Committee, and director of war training courses, along with his presence on several of the university's committees.
While active as member of the faculty, Littleton also participated in alumni affairs, belonging to the Tufts Alumni council and its executive board. In 1974, the alumni elected him to a trustee position upon his retirement. A member of Tau Beta Pi, Sigma Pi Sigma, and several civil engineering societies, he was an original appointee to the Designer Selection Board of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and served four consecutive terms as its chair.
Littleton died on July 8, 1994, while residing in Owls Head, Maine. The Earle F. Littleton Scholarship was created in his honor.
Source: 100H, VF, SSDI