Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History
Metcalf, Albert, 1824-1912
Albert Metcalf (1824-1912), H1902, became a trustee of Tufts College in 1895, continuing to serve on the board until his death in 1912.He was closely associated with the Universalists who founded Tufts College and shaped the direction of its affairs in the early stages of its history.
Born in Wrentham, Massachusetts, on November 27, 1824, Albert Metcalf served as the Treasurer of the Dennison Manufacturing Company. He married Mary C. Roulston in June, 1860, and had two daughters and a son, Edward Roulston Metcalf, who graduated from Tufts in 1887.
Metcalf and his wife took great interest in the college and its students. The Metcalfs donated a female dormitory, named Metcalf Hall, in order to ensure that the young women who came to Tufts might have comfortable, home-like surroundings and proper care. The couple's love for artistic and musical art led them to also donate their personal collection to the college on November 27, 1901, after seeing a need for these elements of culture in collegiate education. The Alfred Metcalf Musical Library collection was to be kept from mingling with the college's other holdings and was made up of twenty-five hundred volumes, including the Fredric Louis Ritter Library, a collection of rare musical scores and texts; a Chickering Concert Grand Piano; an Aeolian Grand; and a portable music cabinet.
Metcalf was presented with an honorary degree of Master of Arts from Tufts in 1902.
Metcalf died at his home in West Newton, Massachusetts, on January 2, 1912.
Source: VF; TCG, Vol. 10, p.163