Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History
SS Charles Tufts, 1944-1968
|The Liberty ship SS Charles Tufts was constructed in October 1944 at the New England Shipbuilding yard in South Portland, Maine. The ship was christened by Mrs. Leonard Carmichael with a group of Tufts representatives in attendance. It bore a plaque honoring Charles Tufts for his religious views, philanthropy, and love of education.|
More than 2,000 Liberty ships were constructed between 1942 and 1945.The freighters were used to transport troops, equipment, and supplies to US troops in the field. They were mass-produced ships utilizing a welding fabrication process which was faster than traditional riveting.
In addition to the plaque donated by Tufts, the ship was given a collection of books for the ship's library selected by Raymond L. Walkley, college librarian. The books contained bookplates designed by Professor John Holmes, Tufts poet.
The SS Charles Tufts was scrapped in 1968.
Source: PRS 1