Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History

Sauer, Anne

Branco, Jessica

Bennett, John

Crowley, Zachary

2000

Start, Edwin Augustus, 1863-1923

Edwin Augustus Start (1863-1923), A1884, through his appointment to the faculty, established Tufts College's History Department in 1892.

The son of the Tufts College bursar, Reverend W. A. Start, A1862, Start was born in North Bridgewater (now Brockton), Massachusetts, on June 1,1863. He studied at schools in Melrose and Cambridge, Massachusetts, before graduating from Cambridge High School in 1880.Start entered Tufts College the following fall. As an undergraduate, Start was active in student organizations, won prizes in oratory, and served as editor-in-chief of the "Tuftonian" and the "Shield," a Theta Delta Chi fraternity publication.

After receiving his B.A. from Tufts in 1884, Start settled on a career in journalism. In 1885, he married his first wife, Julia Edith Moore. For several years, Start edited and managed local New England and New York newspapers. Following the death of his wife in 1892, he spent some time in Virginia carrying out historical research.

In May 1892, he returned north and was appointed Instructor in History at Tufts, formally establishing the department. In 1893, he proposed a curriculum for the new department, which was accepted by the faculty, while working to modify entrance exams to encompass a wider range of subjects. Start also carried out graduate studies at Harvard, receiving his M.A. in 1893. Among his professional and academic organization affiliations, Start was one of the sixteen founding members of the Delta Chapter of Massachusetts of Phi Beta Kappa, and served as its marshal.

Start was made Assistant Professor of History in 1897. He held the position until 1900, when a controversy arose over Reverend Edwin Bolles joining the faculty as Dickson Professor of English and American History, which had been specifically endowed for Bolles. Start resigned his position on the Tufts' faculty and became director of Extension Work of the University of Washington in 1912. He held that position until his sudden death, following a bout of pneumonia, on October 3, 1923. His second wife, Carrie Knowles, survived him.

Start House, located at 15-17 Latin Way, was built in 1894 by Start as his private residence, and is named in his honor.

Source: VF; TCG, September-November 1923

 
Subject terms:
Description
  • The encyclopedia seeks to capture more than 150 years of Tufts' achievements, societal contributions and outstanding alumni and faculty in concise entries. As a source of accurate factual information, the Encyclopedia can be used by anyone interested in the history of Tufts and of the people who have made it the unique institution it is. The Encyclopedia is an ongoing, constantly growing, online r... read more
This object is in collection Subject Temporal Permanent URL
ID:
f1881x54h
To Cite:
DCA Citation Guide    EndNote
Usage:
Detailed Rights
View all images in this book
 Introduction
 Content
Numeric Entries
A
B
C
D
Dame, Lorin Low, 1838-1903
Dana, Charles A., 1881-1975
Dana Laboratory, 1963
Daniel Ounjian Prize in Economics,
Davies, Caroline Stodder, 1864-1939
Davies House, 1894
De Florez Prize in Human Engineering, 1964
de Pacheco, Kaye MacKinnon, ca. 1910-ca. 1985
Dean Hall, 1887-1963
Dean, Oliver, 1783-1871
Dearborn, Heman Allen, 1831-1897
Department of Anatomy and Cellular Biology, 1893
Department of Anesthesia, 1970
Department of Art and Art History, 1930
Department of Biochemistry, 1893
Department of Chemistry, 1882
Department of Community Health, 1930
Department of Dermatology, 1897
The Department of Economics, 1946
Department of Medicine, 1893
Department of Molecular Biology and Microbiology
Department of Neurology, 1893
Department of Neuroscience, 1983
Department of Neurosurgery, 1951
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 1893
Department of Ophthamology, 1893
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, 1906
Department of Otolaryngology, 1895
Department of Pathology, 1893
Department of Pediatrics, 1930
Department of Pharmacology, 1915
Department of Physics and Astronomy, 1854
Department of Physiology, 1893
Department of Psychiatry, 1928
Department of Radiation Oncology, 1968
Department of Radiology, 1915
Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, 1955
Department of Surgery, 1893
Department of Urban and Environmental Policy, 1973
Department of Urology, 1910
Dental Health Sciences Building, 1969
Dewick, Cora Alma (Polk), 1875-1977
Dewick/MacPhie Dining Hall, 1959
Dickson Professorship of English and American History, 1913
Dirlam, Arland A., 1905-1979
Dog Cart, 1900
Dolbear, Amos Emerson, 1837-1910
Donald A. Cowdery Memorial Scholarship, 1946
Dr. Benjamin Andrews Professorship of Surgery, 1987
Dr. Philip E. A. Sheridan Prize, 1977
The Drug Bust, 1970
Dudley, Henry Watson, 1831-1906
Dugger, Edward Jr., 1919-75
Durkee, Frank W., 1861-1939
Durkee, Henrietta Noble Brown, 1871-1946
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
R
S
T
U
V
W
Z
 List of Sources