Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History
Department of Radiology, 1915
Tufts' medical school was the first in the country to include radiology in its curriculum. In 1915 Dr. Ariel W. George, M1906, first organized the radiology department, which at the rime provided students with thirty hours of lectures. Dr. Frederick O'Brien, an internationally recognized specialist in radiation therapy, succeeded Dr. George in 1922. In 1941 he in turn was succeeded by Dr. Samuel Robins, M1914, who expanded the teaching program into a one-month elective course.
Dr. Alice Ettinger, who had been responsible for establishing a radiology residency at the New England Medical Center in 1945, became chair of the department in 1959. A highly skilled radiologist and professor, she was honored with numerous teaching awards by her students. In 1966 Dr. Ettinger was succeeded by Dr. Robert Paul, a graduate of the Baylor University School of Medicine and a Tufts faculty member since 1957. Dr. Paul, the school's current chair, is also chief of radiology at the New England Medical Center. Under his leadership, the department has developed broad-based diagnostic services using the latest techniques and equipment. Its research has been primarily clinical.
When clinical clerkships were moved from the fourth to the third year in 1959, radiology lectures were eliminated from the curriculum. However, the department has remained active in student teaching, and correlative sessions are provided to first- and second-year students. Members of the radiology faculty including Drs. Robert Sarno and Barbara Carter have been frequently honored by students for their teaching efforts. The department continues to be affiliated with hospitals possessing outstanding radiology divisions, including the Boston V.A. Medical Center, the New England Baptist Hospital, St. Elizabeth's Hospital, the Lemuel Shattuck Hospital, the Faulkner Hospital, the Newton-Wellesley Hospital, and the Baystate Medical Center.
Source: COE, 156.