Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History
Cousens Gymnasium, 1931
was constructed in 1931 to replace Goddard Gymnasium, which was inadequate for the increasing demands of a growing student population. It was named for then-president John Albert Cousens, and the building's architects were Andrews, Jones, Biscoe, and Whitmore. At the time of its construction, Cousens Gym was the most expensive building yet built on the Medford campus, at a cost of over half a million dollars.
|Cousens Gym is built on land that was originally used as a pansy farm, consequently known as Pansy Park. The land was purchased by AMRAD Corporation, which ceded the land to the college when it ceased operations in the 1920s. AMRAD had built one factory building on the site, which was incorporated into the design of Cousens Gym and remains today as Halligan Hall.|
Cousens Gym was constructed to provide a large baseball cage, basketball courts, an indoor track, and locker and shower facilities. The main floor of the gym was large enough to hold special events and dances, and is still used for exams in large classes. Built-in bleachers provide seating on the basketball courts for about 500 people.
Over the years Cousens Gym has undergone extensive renovations and additions. Hamilton Pool was added to the complex in 1945.In 1979, $850,000 was spent to add coeducational training and exercise rooms as well as women's showers and locker rooms to comply with Title IX requirements. A state-of-the-art fitness center was added in 1993 and a new intramural gym, Chase Gym, in 1996.The Gantcher Family Sports and Convocation Center was added to the complex in 1999.
As of 2000, Cousens Gym continues to serve as the main athletic facility for the Medford campus.
Source: RNTB3; FAS; BG4