Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History
Paige Hall, 1892
|Paige Hall, on the Medford campus, was constructed in 1892 to serve as a dormitory for the divinity school. It is named for Lucius R. Paige, Universalist minister and trustee from 1859 to 1896. Paige Hall was constructed at the same time as Miner Hall, and together the two buildings served as the headquarters for the divinity school for most of its existence.|
The architects of Paige hall were Andrews, Jones, Biscoe, and Whitmore. Major modifications were made to the building in 1929 with the addition of Crane Chapel and the Fischer Arcade linking Paige and Miner Halls.
From 1910 until 1915, both Miner and Paige halls were taken over by the newly established Jackson College for Women, which sought during those years to maintain a segregated environment for women at Tufts. Once women were reintegrated into the student body in 1915, Paige Hall was returned to the Crane Theological School.
With the demise of the Crane Theological School in 1968 Paige Hall was taken by the Department of Psychology. As of 2005, it is home to the Department of Education.
Source: FAS; RNTB2