Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History
Banks, Henry H., 1921
|Henry H. Banks (1921- ), M1945, served as the fourteenth dean of the Tufts University School of Medicine (1983-1990), and authored in 1993 the centennial history of the Medical School, "A Century of Excellence."|
Banks received his undergraduate degree from Harvard. In 1945, he obtained his medical degree from Tufts a year early as a result of curriculum being accelerated during World War II. He resumed his orthopedic studies at Harvard following his return from service in 1947. He then spent seventeen years as a full-time faculty member at the Brigham Hospital and Children's Hospital Medical Center. Banks was appointed chief of orthopedic surgery at Brigham in 1968.
Banks returned to Tufts in 1970 as professor andchairman of orthopedic surgery. Two years later, he assumed the position of associate dean for hospital affairs. From 1983 to 1990, Banks served as dean of the school. During Bank's tenure as dean, professorships and new chairs were appointed, the curriculum of the first two years of the program was reworked and the endowment was increased from $3 million to $20 million. The Health of the Public Program was also introduced. In 1990, Banks became professor emeritus of orthopedic surgery and dean emeritus of the medical school.
Source: HTCMS, 68-70