Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History
Metcalf Hall, 1893
|Metcalf Hall was constructed in 1893 to serve as a dormitory for women students. It was named for Albert Metcalf, member of the Board of Trustees, who donated funds to construct the building. It was designed by J. Phillip Rinn.|
The building included a dining hall for women, and was supervised by a house matron. Residents were allowed to receive guests only in common areas, and were required to be in their rooms by 10:00 p.m. nightly. The men students quickly dubbed the new residence the "Bird Cage" in honor of its residents.
In 1937 an addition to the west side of the building was made to provide additional housing for women, and nearly doubled the size of the original building.
As of 2000, Metcalf Hall continues to be used as an undergraduate dormitory.
Source: BG7, LOH1, LOH2