Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History
Provost's House, 1857
|The Provost's House, formerly known as Marshall House, is located at 48 Professors Row. Built in 1857-58 by John P. Marshall, Professor of Natural Philosophy, acting president in 1861, and member of the original faculty of the college, the house remained as his residence until his death in 1901. One of the oldest residences on campus, the house was one of the first two sales of college property to private individuals (the other being the land on which 72 Professors Row is built).|
Marshall House served as faculty housing until 1911, when the house was purchased by Dr. Lee S. McCollister, dean of the Divinity School, who enlarged the house by adding a large living room on its eastern end. He occupied the house until his death in 1941. Dean George S. Miller occupied the house for the next ten years. In 1951, vice-president Nils Y. Wessell made Marshall House his home until he was appointed president of Tufts and moved into the President's House in 1954.
Vice-president and first provost John P. Tilton lived in the house until his death in 1959, and it was with his residence that the house became known as the Provost's House. Senior vice-president and provost Leonard C. Mead occupied the house following Tilton. In 1968, the next provost, Albert D. Ulman took up residence in Marshall House. His successor, provost Kathryn McCarthy, resided in the house from 1973-1980, when Sol Gittleman, senior vice-president and provost, took up residence in the house upon his appointment as provost.
As of 2005, the Provost's House is the temporary home of the Department of Music.