Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History
Blakeley Hall, 1926
|Blakeley Hall, originally called Fletcher Hall, was constructed in 1926 to serve as a dormitory for undergraduate men on the Medford campus. It was used for this purpose until Fall 1962, when it was acquired by the Fletcher School for use as a dormitory for its students.
The building was originally named in honor of Austin Barclay Fletcher, A1876, and one of the uiversity's greatest benefactors. He was a long-time member of the Board of Trustees, beginning in 1909, and from 1913 until his death in 1923, was president of the board.
When Fletcher Hall was opened, each student paid $150 per year as room rent. Original equipment furnished each student by the college constisted of a desk, desk chair, a bed, a mattress, and a chiffonier. The building, in the Georgian architectural style, is built of red waterstruck brick with limestone trimmings and a slate roof. The frontage is 122 feet and the building is 111 feet deep from front to rear including the 82-foot wings. The architects were Andrews, James, Biscoe, and Witmore.
In 1987, the building was renamed Blakeley Hall in honor of Gerald W. Blakeley, member of the Fletcher School's board of visitors and donor of funds to support much-needed renovations to the building.
As of 1999, the building continues to serve as a residence hall for students of the Fletcher School. It also houses the Global Development and Environment Institute and the Fares Research Center.
Source: BG5, TC, December 1987, p. 9.