Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History
Howe Memorial Laboratory, 1901-1960
|Howe Memorial Laboratory was constructed in 1901 to serve the dual purpose of a power plant for Robinson and Bromfield Pearson Halls and a laboratory for the College of Engineering. It was named in honor of Ephriam Howe, who donated the funds necessary to construct the building. Because one of its main purposes was the generation of power for the engineering buildings, it was also informally called the Power House.|
Construction of the Howe Laboratory made it possible to remove the power generation equipment which until that time had been in place in Ballou Hall.
The Howe Memorial Laboratory was demolished in 1960 after having served as a storehouse during the construction of Anderson Hall.