Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History
Dr. Benjamin Andrews Professorship of Surgery, 1987
The Dr. Benjamin Andrews Professorship of Surgery was endowed in 1987 by grants from the late Dr. Benjamin Andrews, M1914, and the TMCA Foundation, Inc.
Half of the one million dollars needed to fully endow a chair was donated by the estate of Dr. Benjamin Andrews, a 1914 graduate of the Tufts Medical School who had gone on to become a leading surgeon and pioneer in industrial medicine in Worcester, Massachusetts. The grant stipulated that matching funds be found to complete the endowment. The TMCA Foundation, Inc., a physician's practice plan affiliated with the New England Medical Center, donated the matching funds. This marked the first time the medical faculty had met a challenge grant from an alumnus to establish a fully endowed chair.
Dr. Richard Cleveland became the first person to hold the chair. Cleveland, M1954, returned to the Tufts Medical School in 1972 as a Professor of Surgery, becoming chair of the department in 1975, and becoming the surgeon in chief at New England Medical Center in 1984. He continued as Andrews Professor of Surgery until his retirement in 1993. From 1994 to 1997, Professor Thomas O'Donnell held the chair.