Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History
Bacon Hall, 1952
Bacon Hall was acquired by Tufts University in the late 1960s for use by the Physics Department. The hall was named in honor of George Preston Bacon, professor of Physics (1919-1936) and dean of both the Tufts Engineering School and the Bromfield-Pearson School (1929-1936).
Built in 1952 at 530 Boston Avenue, the building was formerly a cheese factory. The architects of the original structure were from the firm Wood and Vogler. After undergoing renovations, the hall opened in 1968, housing the Bacon High Energy Physics Laboratory. The university's Office of Communications was housed for some time in the structure.
As of 2000, Bacon Hall is used by the Department of Psychology as an animal research labratory.