Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History
Anderson, Arthur J., 1889-1964
Arthur J. Anderson (1889-1964), E1912, H1943, named to the Board of Trustees of Tufts University in 1943, chaired the Executive Committee beginning in 1945 and was named Chairman of the Board in 1949. He also chaired the Alumni Council in 1938-39 and received the Alumni Association's Distinguished Service Award in 1941.In 1961, Anderson Hall, one the College of Engineering's buildings on the Medford campus, was named in his honor.
Anderson was born in Portland, Connecticut, on August 28, 1889. He received a Bachelor of Science degree from Tufts School of Engineering in 1912 and an honorary Master of Arts degree in 1943.He was a member of Delta Upsilon fraternityand Tau Beta Pi during his undergraduate years. A partner in the Boston insurance firm ofObrion, Russell and Company, Anderson held many professional affiliations and positions, including vice-presidency of the World Trade Center of New England, consul for Sweden in Boston, and commander of the Royal Order of Vasa, Sweden. He was married to Florence B. Johnson, with whom he had two children.