Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History

Sauer, Anne

Branco, Jessica

Bennett, John

Crowley, Zachary

2000

Science and Technology Center, 1990

The Tufts Science and Technology Center was completed in 1990, and serves as a home to the Department of Chemical Engineering, the Electro-Optics Technology Center, the High Energy Physics department, and the Condensed Matter Physics department.

Tufts University purchased the building that would later hold the Science and Technology Center in 1986. The building, located at 4 Colby St., had been home to the ACME Printing Company, and was a hold over from Medford's industrial days. After purchasing the building, Tufts received a $10 million grant from the US Department of Energy to transform the warehouse into a state-of-the-art facility. The grant required that the building design would incorporate new energy saving techniques, and would experiment with innovative energy savers. Along with the government grant, Tufts received a one million-dollar grant from Kenneth Richardson, E1952, and his wife Constance Rogers Richardson, J1952.Their grant funded the construction of a fully equipped conference center inside the facility. The university's budget surplus also provided some of the funds necessary to complete the $13.3 million project.

In January, 1989, the Medford Community Development Planning Board finally approved the Tufts proposal to renovate the old factory, on the condition that Tufts conduct a traffic study and fund road improvements in the area. In February, construction on the building finally started. Completion of the project was slated for early summer, 1990, but the renovations were not completed until the beginning of September. The renovated center contained two thirty-three-seat classrooms, an auditorium, the conference center, state of the art laser labs, and research facilities for students and faculty. The two-story, 89,000 square foot center vastly increased the amount of space devoted all of the programs it housed, and also opened up space in the old engineering buildings.

As of 2001, the Sci-Tech Center, as the building is known around campus, continues to house offices, classrooms, and advanced labs for scientific study.

Source: TJ, OBS, TD

 
Subject terms:
Description
  • The encyclopedia seeks to capture more than 150 years of Tufts' achievements, societal contributions and outstanding alumni and faculty in concise entries. As a source of accurate factual information, the Encyclopedia can be used by anyone interested in the history of Tufts and of the people who have made it the unique institution it is. The Encyclopedia is an ongoing, constantly growing, online r... read more
This object is in collection Subject Temporal Permanent URL
ID:
f1881x54h
To Cite:
DCA Citation Guide    EndNote
Usage:
Detailed Rights
View all images in this book
 Introduction
 Content
Numeric Entries
A
B
C
D
Dame, Lorin Low, 1838-1903
Dana, Charles A., 1881-1975
Dana Laboratory, 1963
Daniel Ounjian Prize in Economics,
Davies, Caroline Stodder, 1864-1939
Davies House, 1894
De Florez Prize in Human Engineering, 1964
de Pacheco, Kaye MacKinnon, ca. 1910-ca. 1985
Dean Hall, 1887-1963
Dean, Oliver, 1783-1871
Dearborn, Heman Allen, 1831-1897
Department of Anatomy and Cellular Biology, 1893
Department of Anesthesia, 1970
Department of Art and Art History, 1930
Department of Biochemistry, 1893
Department of Chemistry, 1882
Department of Community Health, 1930
Department of Dermatology, 1897
The Department of Economics, 1946
Department of Medicine, 1893
Department of Molecular Biology and Microbiology
Department of Neurology, 1893
Department of Neuroscience, 1983
Department of Neurosurgery, 1951
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 1893
Department of Ophthamology, 1893
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, 1906
Department of Otolaryngology, 1895
Department of Pathology, 1893
Department of Pediatrics, 1930
Department of Pharmacology, 1915
Department of Physics and Astronomy, 1854
Department of Physiology, 1893
Department of Psychiatry, 1928
Department of Radiation Oncology, 1968
Department of Radiology, 1915
Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, 1955
Department of Surgery, 1893
Department of Urban and Environmental Policy, 1973
Department of Urology, 1910
Dental Health Sciences Building, 1969
Dewick, Cora Alma (Polk), 1875-1977
Dewick/MacPhie Dining Hall, 1959
Dickson Professorship of English and American History, 1913
Dirlam, Arland A., 1905-1979
Dog Cart, 1900
Dolbear, Amos Emerson, 1837-1910
Donald A. Cowdery Memorial Scholarship, 1946
Dr. Benjamin Andrews Professorship of Surgery, 1987
Dr. Philip E. A. Sheridan Prize, 1977
The Drug Bust, 1970
Dudley, Henry Watson, 1831-1906
Dugger, Edward Jr., 1919-75
Durkee, Frank W., 1861-1939
Durkee, Henrietta Noble Brown, 1871-1946
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
R
S
T
U
V
W
Z
 List of Sources