Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History
Mellen, Helen L., 1836-1929
|Helen L. Mellen (1836-1929) was the first full-time librarian of Tufts College. She was appointed an assistant in the library in 1869 and served in that capacity until 1884, when she became librarian. Until that time librarian duties were managed by faculty members. She retired in 1907 and was voted Librarian Emeritus in 1910.|
Mellen built the house at 126 Packard Avenue in 1883 and lived there until 1903.During that time she boarded students at her residence, and the house was known as Mellen House.