Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History
Chapel Bells, 1908
|The bells in Goddard Chapel were given over a period of time beginning in 1908.There is currently a carillion of twenty-five bells which are rung daily at five o'clock in the afternoon.|
The first bell, an "A" Victory bell, was given by the Class of 1898 on the occasion of their tenth reunion in 1908.This bell was used to announce football victories and other Tufts events, in addition to ringing the hour. In 1926, an additional nine bells were given by Eugene A. Bowen, A1876, who worked his way through Tufts as the campus bell-ringer. These bells are known as the Bowen Chimes, in his honor. The final fifteen bells were given in 1964 in honor of John P. Tilton, provost and senior vice-president, who died in 1959.
Previous to the acquisition of the "A" bell in 1908, a lesser bell in the chapel tower was used to summon students to class and chapel services. Before the chapel was built, the campus bell was located on the roof of Ballou Hall. The duties were performed by a student employed as bell-ringer, a sought-after position paying $40 annually, and one of few on-campus employment opportunities at the time.
Source: LOH1; TJ, October 14, 1982