Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History
Eliot-Pearson Children's School, 1926
Founded in 1926 as the Nursery Training School by Abigail Eliot and Mrs. Henry Greenleaf Pearson, the Eliot-Pearson Children's School is a laboratory school serving eighty children in preschool through second grade. Classrooms are fully integrated, including children with special needs and children and families from diverse cultural and economic backgrounds. The school is an early-childhood program, modeling innovative developmental education and curricula. Observation facilities and practicum sites provide training and research opportunities for Tufts undergraduate and graduate students and early-childhood professionals from across New England. The school also offers a range of programming for parents and families.
The origins of the school lie in the work of Eliot and Pearson, who, under the auspices of the Women's Education Association founded a number of nursery schools in the Boston area including the Ruggles Street School in 1922. In 1951 the Nursery Training School entered into a cooperative agreement with Tufts, and the school was administered as an independent entity under the College of Special Studies. In 1955 the name was changed to the Eliot-Pearson Children's School and in 1964 became a part of the Eliot-Pearson Department of Child Study (now the Eliot-Pearson Department of Child Development).
Source: BTU, UA009