Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History
Bendetson Hall, 1947
|Bendetson Hall on the Medford campus was constructed in 1947 to serve as the campus bookstore, when it was known as the Taberna. It served in that capacity until 1987, when the Mayer Campus Center was constructed. Bendetson Hall is currently the home of the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.|
Until 1948, when the Taberna opened, the bookstore was run out of the basement of Eaton Library. Those cramped quarters were deemed unsuitable and the decision was made to construct a proper bookstore that would also provide a snack bar and space for the accounting office, which had outgrown its quarters in Ballou. The new structure, designed by Arland A. Dirlam, was dubbed the Taberna by then-president Leonard Carmichael.
The building underwent extensive renovations in 1987 when the bookstore relocated to the Mayer Campus Center. It reopened as Bendetson Hall.